Why Join the National Clarion Cycling Club?
With over 120 years’ experience to share, we are passionate about helping more people to enjoy the benefits of cycling. Whether you’re new to cycling, ride regularly or want to get back into it, we cater to you.
Here are some of the benefits of joining the National Clarion Cycling Club.
- Free 3rd Party Liability Insurance.
- Accident Assistance and Legal Support
- Award-winning Boots & Spurs Cycling magazine delivered to your door twice a year
- 15% discount Cotswold Outdoors
- 15% discount Snow & Rock
- 15% discount Runners Need
- 10% discount Cycle Surgery (NB the discount code will be printed on your membership card).
- 15% discount Lusso Bike (NB the discount code will be printed on your membership card)
- 10% discount InMotion Products
- Cycle with club mates throughout the UK
- Rides and Events – a friendly welcome at rides around the country
- Annual Easter Meet
- Annual Autumn Meet
- Access to Clarion Championship Races
- Access to buy National Clarion Cycling Club Kit
- Season-long points competition
- Clarion Cyclists Welcome Clarion Friendly Venues
- 30 Sections Across the UK and Europe
There are 30 sections of the National Clarion across the UK and Europe to join click on the one of the orange coloured join us / renew buttons below.
London Clarion Cycling Club (London and the home counties)
Barnoldswick Clarion Cycling Club
Blackpool Clarion Cycling Club
Bolton Clarion Cycling Club (Bolton)
Brighton and Hove Clarion Cycling Club (Brighton and Hove)
Bury Clarion Cycling Club
Calder Clarion Cycling Club (Wakefield)
Clitheroe Clarion Cycling Club
Fenland Clarion Cycling Club (Peterborough)
Gosport Clarion Cycling Club
Heanor Clarion Cycling Club
Hereford Clarion Cycling Club
Ironbridge Clarion Cycling Club (Telford, Shropshire)
Italian Clarion Cycling Club
Manchester Clarion Cycling Club
North Cheshire Clarion Cycling Club
Nottingham Clarion Cycling Club
Private Membership (for anyone who doesn’t have a Clarion Club near them yet!)
Saddleworth Clarion Cycling Club (Saddleworth, Oldham, Tameside & Kirklees)
National Clarion Cycling Club, not to be confused with National Clarion CC 1895
Our National Clarion Cycling Club first met in 1894 and by Easter 1895 the National Clarion Cycling Club was established and we have been in constant unbroken operation since then. In these years we only missed one Easter Meet in 1918 which was quite understandable.
We want to make it clear to everyone who reads this that the National Clarion Cycling Club (this one, running since 1895) is not the same as another organisation which calls itself National Clarion Cycling Club 1895 (which was founded in 2006). You may find this other club extolling the origins of the original club, using its logos and name, as well as using the suffices of ‘North Lancs Union’ and more recently ‘Southern Union’, but it is not this club.
Due to historic and political sympathies, a number of our members and friends are also members of the ‘other’ club, but we wish it to be known that it is not in any way affiliated to, or representative of this, the original National Clarion Cycling Club.
People who are thinking of joining the National Clarion Cycling Club often have a few questions they want to ask us before joining or coming out on one of our rides.
Here we try to answer some of the more popular ones for you. If you have any other questions about the National Clarion Cycling Club or our activities please use the contact us form at the bottom of this page.
- Do I have to race? No, we are quite happy for you to just ride club runs as many members do.
- What is Boots & Spurs? Boots and Spurs is the National Clarion Cycling Magazine published twice yearly and sent to all members Boots & Spurs
- I belong to another cycling club can I join the National Clarion Cycling club as well? Yes we accept members 2nd claim Clarion members
- Does the National Clarion Cycling Club organise events? Yes they can be viewed here Events
- Can I join online? Yes
- Is there a Clarion Cycling Club Section near where I live? All Clarion Cycling Clubs can be viewed here Section Map
- I live in Glasgow is there a Clarion Cycling Club near me. Yes, there is Coatbridge Clarion with members from Airdrie, Coatbridge, Glenboig, Baillieston, Bellshill and Greater Glasgow Coatbridge Clarion CC
- I recently joined when will I receive my membership card? Membership cards are sent out several times a year.
- How do I benefit from the National Clarion Cycling Club discount at Cotswold Outdoors? The Cotswold Outdoor discount code will be printed on your membership card.
- Does the National Clarion Cycling Club Offer Third Party Cycling Insurance? Clarion Cover 3rd party liability Insurance is included as part of the National Clarion membership package.
Clarion Cycling Club Insurance
Clarion Cover Third Party Insurance
For 2018 Clarion Cover 3rd party insurance is being included as part of the National Clarion Cycling Club membership package!
All paid up National Clarion Cycling Club members are automatically covered by Clarion Cover Third-Party Insurance.
Terms and conditions here clarion-cover-policy-information
Clarion Cover Insurance Confirmation Document Clarion Insurance Cover Note 2018
Why is Third Party Insurance important for Cyclists?
As it says on the BBC Website says Although third-party insurance is not compulsory for cycling, there is a risk – albeit a small one – of causing damage to an expensive vehicle while you are on your bike. Replacing even a wing mirror on a £50,000 Mercedes is an expensive prospect.Insurance tips for cyclists inspired by Bradley Wiggins
From 2018 Clarion Cover Third Party insurance is available for Free all National Clarion members.
Why you should have 3rd party insurance:
- Protect against someone suing you, if you caused an accident
- Saves you paying out the cost of damages you caused in a lapse of concentration
- One less thing to worry about
What is and what isn’t 3rd party insurance:
- It is insurance to cover your costs if someone wants to claim against you
- It protects you against claims you might cause in an accident
- It isn’t personal injury insurance (that normally costs £100s)
- It is peace of mind
What am I covered for?
- Commuting to and from and between work
- Club runs
- General riding
- Sportives, reliability rides, Time Trials (but not bunched races)
How good is the Clarion Covr Third Party Insurance cover?
- Underwritten by Royal Sun Alliance
- Max’ cover £5million per incident
- Anywhere in the world except USA & Canada
- Covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme
What’s the worst that can happen?
- Someone asks you to pay for the costs of damaging a car, or:
- Another bike, or a personal injury to them
- And you have to pay out of your own bank account
- Accidents happen, don’t let it cost you the earth
Accident Assistance and Legal support
The majority of cycling accidents that occur involve members who sustain personal injury (damage to themselves, their bicycle or other property) through no fault of their own. In most cases, incidents arise through the negligence of the driver of a motor vehicle, a small number involve defects to the public highway and in occasional cases accidents are caused by other cyclists. In these circumstances, a 3rd party is at fault.
The National Clarion is delighted to announce that it has entered in to a partnership with Smooth Law Ltd who will provide our members with free Legal Assistance to pursue such personal injury claims against at fault parties. This added benefit comes at no additional cost to the annual membership subscription.
In the event that a claim is successful, Smooth Law Ltd, like other legal practices will take a success fee which for members and families is reduced from the standard 25% to 15%. That said, in circumstances where they recover all their fees or for monies they receive which are to replace or repair a members bicycle, a success fee will not be taken.
Smooth Law Ltd is a specialist, personal injury solicitor. They will use their experience to assess claims and where they think good grounds exist will undertake the claim for compensation on our members’ behalf on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis. In addition, they have kindly agreed to extend this offer to our members’ families.
Smooth Law will provide Help / Support Line through their dedicated National Clarion Freephone number 0800 470 1174. This will operate on weekdays, 9.00 am – 8.00pm (except on public holidays).