The National Clarion is very fortunate to have a wide range of Trophies which members can win, these include:
The Brian Braithwaite Memorial Award is awarded to the winner of the photographic competition held at the Easter meet each year.
The British Workers Sports Association Trophy Is awarded annually for the highest (aggregate) mileage cycled to the Easter Meet.
The Czech Trophy is awarded annually to the winner of the Team pursuit. The Czech Trophy was originally won by a Clarion team representing Great Britain in the 1921 workers Olympiad in Prague.
The Harold Lamb Cup is awarded annually to the Junior on merit. Harold Lamb was the husband of our second longest standing secretaries – Marian Lamb, Harold was a Clarion man to the core.
The Kenneth Humphries Angel is awarded to the winner of the Men’s 25 Time Trial. Kenneth Humphreys (son of Hubert, who went on to become a LabourAlderman and Lord Mayor of Birmingham) was killed while riding his motorcycle to the Handforth Clubhouse on Christmas day 1927. Donations flooded in for a memorial Trophy, which was first won by South East London Clarion Section at the 1929 Chester meet.
The Neil Duckworth Memorial Trophy Is awarded to the section with the most members attending the Easter Meet. Neil Duckworth was a popular Stockport Clarion member who tragically died on holiday on 8th July 1993 aged 24.
The Rose Bowl is awarded to the winner of the Ladies 25 Time Trial.
The Tom Groom Trophy Denis Pye explains the background to the Tom Groom Trophy in Fellowship is Life “A Tom Groom Memorial Fund was started in 1946 to provide an inscribed plaque at Golders Green where his funeral took place, and also a silver trophy. The latter was completed in 1949 at a cost of £120. It is in the form of a globe, which spins, and is engraved with geographical accuracy. The arm which stretches around the sphere to hold its axes carries the words: “Socialism, the Hope of the World.” The Trophy is awarded annually to the Section which has, in the words of the Rule, “given the most meritorious service to the National Club”. Leicester Section was the first to receive it in 1949.”