Coatbridge Clarion Cycling Club was founded in 1934. The club’s first President was the Labour MP, Rev. James Barr and they had a Clubroom at Faskine Brae, Cairnhill, Airdrie. Years later they had a clubhouse in the Sykeside area of Coatbridge. The club took part in and won many races such as the Tour de Trossachs (established 1943) and the Clarion Challenge Shield (established in 1904 until 1961). Coatbridge Clarion won the Clarion Challenge Shield most frequently (eight times) between 1944 and 1959.
The club became dormant in the 1960s and was reborn in 2012 thanks to local cycling enthusiasts who were aware of the great history of the club. The club is now thriving with riders of all abilities joining on a weekly basis from Airdrie, Coatbridge and surrounding areas.
The club members participate in events, sportives, midweek training sessions and challenging weekend club runs in three pace groups. The club actively does fund raising to support local charities and promotes cycling in the local community. The club is very proud that the original racing members from the 1950s namely George Allan, Arthur McCann, Alex Keys and Geoff Burden have re-joined the club as honorary members and are actively involved in the activities. Geoff and Arthur still ride with the club runs and weekly training sessions. The club is now based at Drumpellier Cricket/Rugby Clubhouse, Coatbridge. Our membership is from all parts of Airdrie and Coatbridge. The rest come from Glenboig, Baillieston, Bellshill, Uddingston, Slamannan, Cumbernauld and Greater Glasgow.